Notice of Online Archive

  • This page is no longer being updated and remains online for informational and historical purposes only. The information is accurate as of the last page update.

    For questions about page contents, contact the Communications Division.

A late-night fire in a basement laundry room in Lafayette’s Marquis Hall Monday, Sept. 11, resulted in no injuries but caused a temporary evacuation of students living on the building’s second and third floors and in a cluster of rooms known as the Marquis Suite. All students soon returned to their rooms.

After the fire’s discovery at approximately 11 p.m. students were evacuated in orderly fashion with the assistance of Lafayette administrators, Public Safety officers, and student resident advisors to the common room of nearby Keefe Hall, another student residence. The students returned to their rooms when City of Easton fire department officials and College administrators determined it was safe to do so. Public Safety officers remained on patrol in the building through the night.

The fire was discovered by Public Safety officers following a student’s report of smoke in the basement. They alerted the Easton Fire Department, which responded within minutes and extinguished the fire in short order. Smoke was cleared from the building with exhaust fans.

Categorized in: News and Features