Notice of Online Archive

  • This page is no longer being updated and remains online for informational and historical purposes only. The information is accurate as of the last page update.

    For questions about page contents, contact the Communications Division.

Smoke from an overloaded washing machine set off fire alarms in Watson Hall about 3 p.m. today.

A student notified Eric Bryant ’04, resident adviser on the second floor, of smoke coming from the laundry room. After entering the stairwell and smelling smoke, Bryant called the Office of Public Safety, which in turn called the Easton Fire Department. He then pulled a second floor fire alarm.

The Fire Department responded to the scene, but firefighters’ assistance was not needed. A Public Safety officer unplugged the washing machine, which had a burnt motor that was creating smoke.

There was no danger to students or staff in the building. No damage was caused to anything other than the washing machine, which was taken out of service.

Categorized in: News and Features