Notice of Online Archive

  • This page is no longer being updated and remains online for informational and historical purposes only. The information is accurate as of the last page update.

    For questions about page contents, contact the Communications Division.

Lafayette College Student Government
November 6, 2001
An official meeting of the 2001 Student Government was held in the Farinon Center, Room 12 at 8:08pm. There were 15 members present.

Ben Mack President
Dana Newcomb Vice President
Morgan Albus Secretary
Colin Feehan Treasurer
Matt Bishop Community Affairs
Jacobi Cunningham Multicultural Affairs
Patrick Doherty Academic Affairs
Amy Giacobone Farinon Student Services
Elizabeth Harris Public Relations
Bradford Hill Greek Liaison
Jenna Menard Student Life
Jonathan Schecter Student Organizations
Rae Sheynberg Campus Student Services
Lauren Uhler Student Life
Meredith Walburg Elections

I. President’s Report – Ben Mack
A. MOTION to approve the minutes from October 30th
B. Dean Garnick is here to present the proposed new Greek organization evaluation pamphlet
C. The Offices of Student Residence and Student Activities have asked for our help with funding busses to the Lafayette/Lehigh football game. We will discuss our interest of contribution in closed session. Also, the school will be providing a tailgate gathering at Lehigh before the game. Please stop by if you are at the game and show your support.
D. We need two proposed days for our transition ceremony, which will take place at the Chateau. The dates that Pam will check on for us are Saturday December 8th and Sunday December 9th at noontime.
E. I will be forming a committee to respond to the question asked to me by one of the members of the Board of Trustees about, “How can we make Lafayette fun?” The committee will be referred to as the “Fun Committee”

II. Vice President’s Report – Dana Newcomb
A. All representatives are asked to observe parliamentary procedure during meetings. This includes closed session. Next week a brief overview of those procedure will be provided
B. Invitations went out for the faculty luncheon. The luncheon is set for next Monday at 12:15 in the Marlo Room
C. Faculty meeting:
1. President Rothkopf gave a report that discussed students going abroad next semester as well as the current economic situation and how it will affect current seniors and incoming classes
2. Dean Hutchinson reported that his office is looking into stimulation of intellectual life on campus
3. Registrar reported that 2/3 of students have registered online this semester
4. Academic Progress committee gave a report of significant advice clarifying the G.P.A. requirements for study abroad programs

III. Secretary’s Report – Morgan Albus
A. Reminder for office hours

IV. Treasurer’s Report – Colin Feehan
A. Next week will give the government the specific amount of our budget
B. Will be going to the August Survivor Center with Lauren. Looking into a speaker on sexual assault issues
C. MOTION to allocate 600 dollars to buses for Lafayette/ Lehigh
D. MOTION to allocate 100 dollars to the Outreach Center for Hunger and Homeless week

V. Campus Student Services – Rae Sheynberg
A. Going on the lighting tour on November 12th at 6pm
B. Will give the contract on recycling to Bruce Ferretti

VI. Academic Affairs – Patrick Doherty
A. Met with Dean Hutchinson to discuss freshman orientation
1. Orientation committee will meet sometime in the next two weeks to discuss a restructured, more academically focused orientation
B. Met with the Provost to discuss issues concerning freshman orientation

VII. Student Life – Jenna Menard
A. FCC working on publicizing themselves
B. Pep rally
1. T-shirts are finalized. They will be ordered this week
2. Meeting with the DJ and Lisa this week

VIII. Elections – Meredith Walburg
A. The deadline for applications is extended until Thursday, November 8
B. Please sign up to help out with elections. (except those representatives who are running again).
C. Working on web site for candidates-
1. Emailed John Apostles to try to get help with the web site
D. Emailed Dave Block for help with the mass mailer

IX. Public Relations – Liz Harris
A. November event calendar will most likely be up tomorrow
B. Started posting events on Lafayette web site
C. Going to email club presidents again to encourage them to contact me and use our event calendar

X. Student Organizations – Jonathan Schecter
A. Wrote a rough draft of mid year status report. Feel free to provide any suggestions

XI. Greek Liaison – Bradford Hill
A. Dean Garnick came tonight at the beginning of the meeting to address the new steps process to the Student Government
B. The winners of Greek Week are Delta Gamma and Fiji

XII. Community Affairs – Matt Bishop
A. Met with Kristen Radecsky regarding the governments role in Hunger and Homeless week.
B. Will be meeting with Kate Wick regarding the Miller Memorial Blood Drive which will be held on Tuesday, November 27th from 9:30am-5:00pm. There will be sign -ups in Farinon from 11:00am-1:00pm on November 5-7th and November 14-16th

XIII. Student Life – Lauren Uhler
A. Going to the August Survivor Center tomorrow with Colin to arrange for a speaker
B. Email to orientation leaders and RA’s will go out on Friday regarding the pep rally
C. Still trying to get in touch with Brain Holt concerning Zoo Crew

XIV. Multicultural Affairs – Jacobi Cunningham
A. Have reserved the Marlo Room center on November 29th from 8pm to 9:30pm for the Expressions of Lafayette banquet. Advertisement will be out soon
B. The Black History month planning meeting was very successful.

XV. Farinon Student Services – Amy Giacobone
A. Dinning committee meeting on November 7th at 12 in Marquis
B. Emailed club presidents whose organizations have offices in the atrium and suggested the idea of opening the office doors

The meeting was adjourned at 10:01pm. These are the official minutes of the Student Government.

Respectfully Submitted,
Morgan Albus

Categorized in: Students