Notice of Online Archive

  • This page is no longer being updated and remains online for informational and historical purposes only. The information is accurate as of the last page update.

    For questions about page contents, contact the Communications Division.

There were no injuries in two cooking-related fires tonight.

The first incident took place at approximately 6:45 p.m. at 2 West Campus (Delta Delta Delta sorority), where plastic utensils left in a preheating oven ignited. No damage was caused except to the oven. Public Safety responded promptly. The fire had been extinguished by the time Public Safety arrived. Easton Fire Department determined that residents could continue occupying the building.

In the second incident, cooking oil ignited on top of the stove at 43 McCartney Street, first floor. The residents extinguished the fire, which was reported to Public Safety at 8:54 p.m. Easton Fire Department evacuated the smoke and determined that the residents could continue to occupy the building except for the kitchen, which was deemed unusable, with damage to the walls and stove. Plant Operations reported to the apartment to clean it up following the incident.

In a third cooking-related incident, smoke from an overheated pizza triggered fire alarms in Conway House. There was no damage. Easton Fire Department was not called to campus.

Categorized in: News and Features