Sustainable actions you can take this month:
- Recycle plastics, metal, glass, paper, or cardboard. Learn more about recycling at Lafayette.
- Bring reusable items when you leave your residence (shopping bags, mugs, water bottles, straws, utensils, etc.) and use a reusable eco-clamshell at Upper or Marquis.
- Refuse disposable/single-use items when presented (plastic bags at checkout, individually packaged utensil packets).
- Reduce paper usage by printing double-sided, using scrap paper, etc.
- Thrift for items instead of buying new. There will be a pop-up thrift store at EarthFest for you to thrift for the things you need!
- Purchase items with less/minimal packaging or buy in bulk.
- Choose meals with environmental and social impacts in mind (without meat or less red meat, local, organic, fair trade).
- Reduce personal food waste by not plating more than you can eat.
- Minimize water consumption (shorter showers, turning off water when brushing teeth, etc.)
- Minimize energy consumption (unplugging devices and chargers when not in use, turning off lights when you leave the room, etc.).
- Seek out physical activity and green spaces on campus.
- Encourage your peers to adopt sustainable behaviors.
- Take action when you see issues in your residence hall or office space by submitting a work order (leaky faucets, waste and recycling bin placement/signage, etc.).
Ways for students to get involved with sustainability on campus:
Learn more from these resources:
- The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert
- The Humane Economy by Wayne Pacelle
- Climate Justice: Hope, Resilience, and the Fight for a Sustainable Future by Mary Robinson
- Wear No Evil: How to Change the World with Your Wardrobe by Greta Eagan
- Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork by Anna Lappé
- The Story of Stuff by Annie Leonard
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
- Erin Brockovich (2000)
- An Inconvenient Truth (2006)
- The Lorax (2012)
- There’s Something in the Water (2019)
- Dark Waters (2019)
- Mossville: When Great Trees Fall (2019)
- The Candor and the Eagle (2019)
- Remothering the Land (2021)
- We the Power (2021)
- Sustainability Defined
- The Good Dirt: Sustainability Explained
- Costing the Earth